HOW TO MAXIMIZE YOUR CASH AND MINIMIZE YOUR STRESS WHEN SELLING YOUR HOME
Top 5 Success Tips for Sellers
In the higher price points of the Charleston SC Metro Area, such as Daniel Island and Mount Pleasant, we have seen the start of a market shift - I would describe the market as still going with the foot on the gas, but with the handbrake on. Buyers have LESS URGENCY and are a LOT PICKIER than when the market was very hot 2 years ago.
Given the availability of new homes (6 out of every 10 buyers in Mount Pleasant North of IOP Connector buy new construction) most buyers are comparing pre-owned homes with NEW CONSTRUCTION homes.
Sellers can control only their home PRICE, its CONDITION and its AVAILABILITY.
The 5 tips will help you get the most NET proceeds from your home and sell it with minimum fuss and stress:
1. Put your BEST FOOT FORWARD from Day 1:
- Do a pre-listing INSPECTION – all those repairs are CHEAPER to make with time on your hand so you can shop around and get reasonably priced contractors
- Service your HVAC
- Make it SHINE! – paint & landscaping. De-cluttering and STAGING. Remember your home is competing with MODEL HOMES that are professionally staged.
2. Forget your ZESTIMATE(*) (*) ZEstimate is a registered trademark of Zillow Inc.
- Price to SELL not to TEST THE MARKET
- Focus on NET, not on costs
- Be mindful of what NEW HOMES offer to your potential buyers
- Get a professional, experienced Realtor to give you a realistic price range
- Be decisive in your PRICE ADJUSTMENTS, TIME is NOT ON YOUR SIDE
- A BIRD IN THE HAND is worth TWO IN THE BUSH – sometimes the FIRST OFFER is the BEST OFFER
3. Be prepared to NEGOTIATE MULTIPLE TIMES!
- Initial negotiations (price, timing, conditions, concessions);
- When repairs are requested; and
- If appraisal comes in below negotiated price.
4. Work out your LOGISTICS in advance
- WHERE/HOW/WHEN are you moving
- Have a "Plan B"
- Back-to-back closings are STRESSFUL
- LEASEBACK is an option
5. Provide a SMOOTH FINALE to make buyers happy, minimizing friction and potential CONFLICT at closing
- MOW/TRIM your lawn the day before closing
- Vacate your home AT LEAST one day before
- CLEAN your home thoroughly – GIVE THEM A GOOD FEELING COMING IN
- Gather all DOCUMENTS, KEYS, GARAGE DOOR OPENERS and pool FOBS in one drawer
Ready to SELL your home? Contact us on 843-900-0155.
Our track record speaks for itself:
Please contact us if you have any questions or comments.