Posted By Alan Donald @ Sep 26th 2010 5:31am In: Short Sales
Why not be foreclosed? Why sell short?
Experienced professionals provide this list of reasons:
- Avoid the foreclosure stigma– Homeowners will always have to disclose that they had a foreclosure on any mortgage application and (many job applications) that they submit in the future. This can have an adverse affect on their future mortgage rates. Foreclosure is asked about specifically in credit inquiries. There is no seven-year time limit on this item.
- Protect credit score– Credit scores will be lowered by 300-plus points (per loan) by foreclosure. The impact of a short sale—about half that much.
- Improve eligibility for a government insured loan– The homeowner will be ineligible for a government insured loan for 5-7 years (only two years in a short sale). A foreclosure is the one credit report item that is almost impossible to have repaired.
- Avoid a deficiency judgment– Lenders can seek a deficiency judgment against the homeowner and collect any amount they do not recover at sale.
- Protect employment prospects– Many employers run credit checks on prospective employees. Foreclosure is one of the top items that will put a potential new hire, or even current employment, in jeopardy.
Are you behind in your payments? We may be able to help and would be glad to help you understand your options with no obligation. Call us! (843) 416-1434.
Please contact us if you have any questions or comments.