Posted By Alan Donald @ Jun 29th 2023 10:30am In: Charleston


Pitt St Pier Mount Pleasant

Mount Pleasant Named as a 2023 All-American City
Mount Pleasant has been recognized as one of 20 finalist cities nationwide for the 2023 All-American City Award! This honor is given to “municipalities that demonstrate innovation, civic engagement, and collaboration in their efforts to create a positive impact on their communities.” According to the National Civic League, Mount Pleasant’s "new Intellectual Disability Inclusion Movement" and the strong relationship the town’s police force have with their community were some of the main factors behind being chosen. Mount Pleasant has been nominated for this award twice before, in 2010 and 2018. Read more here, and here

International African American Museum Opens in Downtown Charleston
The much anticipated International African American Museum officially opened its doors on Tuesday, June 27th! The remarkable museum is built on Gadsden’s Wharf, one of the many disembarkment locations in Charleston Harbor at which over 40% of enslaved Africans entered this country. “IAAM honors the untold stories of the African American journey at the sacred site of Gadsden’s Wharf and beyond, tracing its full history from ancient civilizations in west and central Africa through today.” Read more here and here 

Soho House Coming to the Holy City in 2024 
The international social club, Soho House, recently dropped plans to open a new location in downtown Charleston. The club will be moving into a space off East Bay Street in the French Quarter, where they plan to “reimagine the Victorian-era three-story Wagener Building into a ground-floor public restaurant and two floors of members-only space, including a rooftop bar and a dining area with uninterrupted views of the port city.” Soho House is known for their exclusivity, and currently have a waiting list of 60,000+ globally… Read more here and here.

New Medical Office Development and Other Businesses Coming to Johns Island
On Tuesday June 20th, developers presented their renderings of a new medical office development to be built on John’s Island along Maybank Highway. The current plan includes three, one-story buildings and three, 2-story buildings that will have the potential to house up to 17 new businesses. “Developers say 85% of the businesses will be medically related. The other 15% would be light restaurant and retail use.” Read more here.